*This is a picture heavy post! I took a lot of pictures because I had a lot of
mishaps and what not to do ~ scoll down to see just the card
or ALL THE WAY THROUGH to see the whole process!*
It's the last day of winter card camp with our final class
and today's class from Jeanette is all about using glue!
It was a huge learning curve and took me awhile
but I decided to stick with it :)
Today's theme: Using school glue as a base coat for the card
and then blend a distress ink on top of that!
To skip the blog post, here is my card:
I'm a visual learner and tried my best to follow the tutorial
but did have some struggles along the way.
In case you are reading this and want to give this a go,
I'll share with you 2 problems that I ran into so you won't have them!
The technique requires an acrylic block, acetate or layering tool.
I didn't have an acrylic block and even used an old wooden stamp block
and didn't want it to smoosh around with acetate.
So I improvised and used this .........
a sponge brush.
You may remember that from this creative adventure!
Next, I started swiping into the regular school glue and I ran
into problem #2 ~ it's too thick.
I tried another glue (name brand, fancy schmancy) - same result.
I decided to just dilute it and added a teaspoon of warm water and
The first couple 'passed' with the brush sponge were JUICY!
I mean, it was on there like stripes on candy cane!
For the next one, I squeezed a lot of it out before adding it to the base
and it gave it was beautiful lightwash texture -
a lot like what you'd see when you paint a wall.
I made 5 base panels and this reminds me SO MUCH of gesso.
I let them dry - they took over 3 hours total because there was
one or two tiny spots that were persistent :)
Finally, I used the mini stamping tool to blend and just chose
random distress oxides because I had NO IDEA what I was going to
make with the completed panels.
I thought "Choose blue! You can't go wrong with something blue!"
Here are 3 and you can really see how the glue gives it
a great balance between the smooth parts and texture.
Because I'm not really in a creative spirit right now,
I took the easy way out and just went with flowers.
After stamping and die cutting the flowers,
I decided to use light blue as a background and teal blue for leaves.
And after glueing it all down, I added a sentiment and done!
And that's my card and the wrap up of our friends
winter camp with 4 different tutorials!
The hilarious part - as I was cleaning up and getting rid of the glue,
I maybe have accidentally invented another technique!
Stick around - it may be coming up soon in a blog post :)
Thanks for stopping by today!